The road heads south, almost dead straight, for 16mi from the "main" road. Once you cross a railroad track along the main road, you are in the woods, with a tree canopy over the road for maybe 10mi or so. A few houses along the road, coupla small black churches (saw the preacher arrive at one, on the way back only 2 cars there) but every mile or two will be a large brick pillared gate of some sort with a discrete sign, this plantation, that plantation, etc. and a road leading back down into the woods. One of them had a large gate house, maybe 2000ft2, then the road goes on back. Some have no signs but the pillars and gates. Along about mile 10 is a large bridge over a tributary of the Ashepoo river, and along in there are what appeared to be old rice fields, some had water in them (state law prohibits messing with the flood gates that let water in and out so as to provide habitat for the waterfowl, etc.). On past there a few miles the houses start to appear, toward the end of the road which ended at the river. Some sorta ratty houses on pilings, a coupla shrimpers at a boat dock, a little store for the marina, and that was about it.

We saw maybe 10 cars in our 16mi out/16mi back, mostly white folks. These properties are owned by wealthy people, mostly kept in conservation, some go back 300yr or more if they survived the Late Unpleasantness. Aside from the road being fairly nice, I am guessing there is not a lot of difference in what is there now v. what was there a coupla hundred years ago when Carolina Gold rice and Sea Islands cotton ruled the planet.

Bennett's Point Rd runs south from here 32.736462,-80.574961

--R