Let's say I were to part out my '87 300D.  It has a #22 head in it,
professionally installed by a highly regarded shop, with <50K miles on
it (I'd have to look up the receipts to know for sure).  Could I get
that much for it?  Is there anything tricky about taking the engine
apart?(loosening the bolts in the opposite order from how you torque
them to keep from warping the head, or something like that?)

Alex

_

What's wrong with the car?

I am not sure about the Alum head OM60x because I have never had one apart. But you can take out the head bolts in reverse order. On the iron heads, there are 2 small bolts inside and 2 outside the timing chain area. Nothing too difficult.