LED bulbs are great at lowering the amperage over all.

So?

The problem I now have is that they are not playing well with the blink relay.

Naturally.  As a convenience/safety feature they're calibrated to
require the correct load in order to flash at the normal speed.
You will need to open up the relay and find the timing components
(R, C) and change them to no longer care about the proper load.
A nice bit of reverse-engineering.  (My towing flasher in the pickup
does not have that variable-speed feature.  It's different than the
'normal' flasher.)

Of course, if one of your lights _does_ fail you will no longer
have any warning about this.

Series resistance is not what you need.  To make the flasher
run at the right rate you need a _parallel_ resistance, and
rather a small one, to restore the current draw that the relay
expects.  So, having done that what was the point of all this
work?  I find that light bulbs last a very long time, and I
_really_ hate the jarring fast strobe on/off cycle of the LED
lights.  The slower rate of lumens change of an incandescent
bulb is _much_ less jarring to the people looking at 'em.

One would think the chinese would have known this was an issue and just put a dang resister in their little lights

A resistor that consumes nearly what the old incandescent did?
For a turn light, maybe a 20W resistor?  It'll get just as hot
as a light bulb, and so will need to be in a physical package
much the size of a light bulb.  What was the point again?

-- Jim