I bought a simple little $15 belt tension gauge from NAPA several years ago that has worked well when used correctly. Belt tension is the first thing I check for squealing noises. You might need a new belt if it's been running loose. If you buy the gauge, be sure and check tension at least three times. Best two out of three readings is usually correct. I set all belts about 70 ft/lb.
Gerry
'83 300D and 240D

From: "Robert Koziak" <rkmerce...@aol.com>
I was getting ready for a vacation trip tomorrow in my 1983 300D (185K) when suddenly my air conditioner stopped blowing cold air. The air conditioner has been making a short squeal noise for the past two weeks. The compressor clutch is turning and there is sufficient freon. Any thoughts for a quick fix or guidance troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated. I put in a new a/c compressor a couple of years ago. It probably had 4 compressors in it sice I owner i 20 years ago.
Bob K