> ernest breakfield wrote:

> well, how old *is* Gerry? the version of code we learned and
> use was standardized in the 1860s,...    ;-P

Well, he was visiting a relative that worked for the railroad
and I understand in some places they were still using american
code into the 1970's.  So while he might be 150 years old, he
wouldn't have to be for the story to hold. *grin*

> ... but the point is that even that had long and short dashes.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Amercode.png

Yup.  But did you listen to the what it sounds like?  It does
not sound at all to my CW ear like a dash!  It sounds like
nothing but clicks and clacks.

This site has some sound files
http://www.normanfield.com/morse.htm

http://www.normanfield.com/mercury.mp3