Hi Brian,

I missed the type of car here, but I gather it's a W124 or W126 with
an OM603 engine. I've tinkered with those a little myself, and have a
couple of comments. First, you need to test vacuum directly at the
port on the pump - disconnect the hose that goes to the 4-way branch
fitting. If there's zero vacuum from the pump, the pump is bad (or the
port is blocked somehow). The pump isn't cheap, either. If the pump
does NOT have 4 Torx-head screws in the front cover, it should be
replaced on principle even if it is working OK.

Anyway, if there is a leak on any of the vacuum 'consumers', that can
cause all the other vacuum operated items to not function. That would
be the emissions junk (which can be disabled), the tranny (which will
shift harshly with no vacuum), and the climate control vent flaps. The
large port on the vac pump feeds both the power brake booster *and*
the engine shutoff. If the engine won't shut off, it could be the
diaphragm on the injection pump, a leak in the brake booster pipe, or
(once again) a bad vacuum pump.

It sounds like you have verified that the pump is bad, but first I'd
want to disconnect both ports, plug the large one, and measure at the
small one. A big leak on the main port could possibly cause no vacuum
present at the small port. (?) Don't mess around with that idler
pulley - the serpentine belt system is not something to screw with, it
can cause the timing cover to fracture (read $$$$ to fix). If the belt
isn't perfectly parallel at the tensioner/idler pulleys, REPLACE the
idler lever. The idler puley only needs replacement if the bearing is
bad. Only use an OE (Genuine Mercedes) belt shock - the eyelet
bushings are different than the OEM (aftermarket) shocks.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with that shop. I remember Stefan's
name from the previous (MBZ.org) list, I had forgotten he sold the
car. Wasn't that a 350SDL...?

Best regards,

--
Dave M.