On that last point, does anybody have a driver's seat for a w201? I have a quote of $500 to rebuild it with a new seat frame. I wonder if this is something I could do myself and save some money?

It is very common to take a donor passenger seat and to combine parts
to make a good driver's seat.  I have a seat set for the 201 (or did I
have two?), and the best passenger cover is now in our 107.  We do now
own a 201 car, so I may well be using my extra parts.  I vowed not to
touch the 190D until the genset was back together again, so it's
getting close.

A pair of front seats is $20 at the U-Pull here, that's where I got
the extras.  I figured $20 for a good seat cover that might work in
the SL was a good deal, and any extra use I got out of them would be
gravy.

Shipping entire seats is a bit of a killer, though.  Your best bet
(cost-wise) is to find something locally.  To be fair, your $500 will
get you an as-new seat, other approaches will give you somewhat less.

-- Jim