This has been an issue for the industry since the early 90s.

A number of manufacturers have farmed out production to the Chinese, with the
accompanying issues one would expect.

Some Chinese startup companies have come in and been making substandard
instruments as well, or making what is known in the industry as "stencils",
which is another name for brand labeling.

Older pianos can be fine, it's just that there are a lot of them out there that
are past the point of being good instruments without spending far more that
they are worth to get them in shape.

Dan