John, you are right, about the other type of pump. There actually are 3 types of pumps used in 615 to 60X engines, The oldest is the hex head "union", or part between the actual delivery valve/pump body and the injector line. In the middle was a type where the "union" was also the calibrating device, not to be touched except by a Bosch shop on a test bench. Thankfully that was a short lived experiment. The third, splined "unions" is used on 85 to 87 and somewhere into the 90s Diesels. (123, 124 and 126) and later.

My memory is dull, but I am pretty sure my 80 and 81 240Ds have the splines. At any rate, the procedure is pretty much the same, just that on the OM621 and 615, there is no Oring to contend with . Somewhere between 76 and 1980, the intermediate type was used, and then the type M. I make no claim to know what models were switched to which type at what year. I will go out and look at the 240Ds to see if my memory is tricking me, then report back.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the procedure that was previously cited is particular to the Bosch type M pumps, which are readily identified by the 33-tooth spline "touch-me-not" "fastener" that is the delivery valve body (or union, depending upon which book you read from)...

The type M pump has both the delivery valve seal (crush washer) and an o-ring (which seems to fare poorly with respect to biodiesel and ULSD...)

The car in question is one of the earlier diesels (most 1985's and pre-1985 US/NA models); they use a Bosch type MW pump which has a bog-standard hex outline for the unions. The unions each screw into a separate steel chamber that is attached to the aluminum body of the pump with one nut above and one nut below. The MW type pump does not use the worrisome rubber o-rings, just copper washers. If they leak (and only if they leak), loosen them and them retorque to 50Nm in one step. If they continue to leak, order new copper washers (I forgot the part number) and replace all of them one at a time. Wear gloves to protect the parts from fingerprints, etc. It's not a good idea to remove the innards below the union/spring, but if the delivery valve does pop out, rinse it in clean diesel fuel or clean fine oil (sewing machine oil) (3 in 1 is NOT suitable) and reassemble them; check the bottom surface of each union for any scratching or scoring; the finish must be polished or you will have leaks. Any unions that are not polished should be replaced, as removing material from the bottom of them will increase the pressure on the delivery valve... Likewise any that continue to leak should be swapped. The unions themselves can be swapped off of a "donor" pump.

I'd only mess with the pump if it was leaking.

Do you see any air bubbles in the fuel lines? They can develop leaks with age.

Also, if your fuel tank vent is plugged, you can wind up with some roughness (and starvation) issues; check that before replacing fuel lines, especially if you have ever needed to disassemble the fuel level sender and remove algae corpses from it; I've seen the vent line become sufficiently plugged to hold about 60psi applied to the vent fitting at the tank.

The quickest way to test the vent line is to take a long drive then remove the fuel cap; after turning the cap, it should rest on the opening--you should not need to pull it off, and you should not hear air movement when the cap comes off.

--
John W Reames
jream...@verizon.net