As Phillip said, do you need a very high quaity instrument to learn to play
on? Can you hear the difference between a great piano and mearly OK one? I
can't, and doubt that I ever could.
Our 111 year old upright snds great to me, but then I grew up with it, our
kids learned to play it, etc. - it's what I compare all other pianos to. It
was re-built once, in the 1960s I think. We (the kids) hated that the
chipped ivories were prelaced with plastic, but those plastic covers are
still as good as they were in 1960, so they are more durable.
I just hope one of the kids decides to live in one place long enough to
make it worth moving it to their house - the grand kids need to learn to
play on their great-great-great grandparent's piano.

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Mountain Man <maontin....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dan wrote:
> > Take it for what it's worth, but this is coming from guys who make their
> livings doing this.
> >

> Very few people make good living as piano technicians.  It is very
> tough to obtain and keep customers.
> mao

OK Don
2001 ML320