FOLKS

I haven't been really happy with how my 1982 300td has been running, shifting, shutting off, etc for quite a while, but the car has been soldiering on.

Saturday, I took about a 3/32" drill bit and reamed out the holes in the vacuum fitting on the main vacuum line between the vacuum pump and the brake booster. Mine is the style with the plastic fitting with two nipples that supply most of the vacuum system.

I just spun the bit in my fingers in the hole of the nipple.

Anyway, after that, the car shifts perfectly with no more hard shift and miracle of miracles, it shuts down perfectly!! It's an amazing difference.

This coupled with my tennessee replacement of the RR CV axle and cleaning and adjusting the injectors has taken 10 years off of my car.

Saturday night i took a 31 mile trip out into a nearby rural county for a party (62 mile round trip). Even though i went and returned after dark, not a single deer did i see. It's either my old eyes or the hunters have them all spooked and hiding wherever they hide.

So, the moral of the story is be sure you have sufficient vacuum before you mess with anything else!!
thanks,

xx rick
Rick Hawkins

www.javaphoto.com