From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Mitch Haley
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:26 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Oookkkkk

Randy Bennell wrote:
> So, the hood scoop  looks a bit odd on an MB diesel but it supposedly
> holds an intercooler.
> Does anyone think it is effective? Does an intercooler help in any way
> on a diesel or is it going against the grain  because a diesel needs
> heat to fire?

If you're pumping enough fuel and air to get the exhaust temps too high,
then an intercooler is vital. Otherwise there's no point.

If all somebody did was turn up the full load screw in the injection pump
and tighten the wastegate to match, I don't think the intercooler would be
needed.

If the pump has serious internal mods, then the intercooler is worth
something and the old OM617 might be making power similar to the one in the
diesel speed record car of 30 years ago.

Mitch.