Another name for "intercooler" and a more proper one is "Intake Charge
Cooler"... It's purpose is to cool the charge of air coming into the engine
thus allowing more air to be packed into the cylinder making a more oxygen
dense "air charge" for combustion.[cold air is more dense, rule of physics]

If you want to make more power with a diesel... add more air... simple but
true. [Ok.. eventually more fuel also.. but to a point]

Finding the balance of how much cooling, how much air flow, tubing size,
available energy from extraction of the exhaust flow, etc etc etc.. has
kept engineers employed and sent children through college for years. It is
a fine art, supported by fine engineering, and a little luck [some days].

I'm sure the hood "scope" mounted device was only done after all those
considerations were weighed properly... right???

Respectfully,
Grant...