From: mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com]
On Behalf Of Mitch Haley
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 10:53 AM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Oookkkkk

Greg Fiorentino wrote:
> Actually a properly set up intercooler on any turbodiesel greatly
> increases the efficiency of the engine.  The laws of thermodynamics
> are such that the efficiency of an engine is proportional to the
> difference in temperature of the intake and exhaust gases.

You've said this before, and I never knew where you were coming from.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_efficiency#Engine_cycle_efficienc

Thanks for the link. It appears that you are confusing combustion
temperature, Th, with intake manifold temperature. At any rate,  the
efficiency, 1 - (Th/Tc), gets larger as Th gets larger.
What you want is high combustion temp and low exhaust temp. Exhaust heat is
waste energy out the tailpipe. Intake temp is not a factor in this
calculation.

IMO, heat entering the engine can only help to increase Th, and hence the
efficiency of the engine, except that a denser intake charge might increase
the effective compression ratio.

Mitch.