True... but false.

Seems to be a lasting urban myth that the glow plug remains heated after
start cycle and engine warms to operational temp.

Very old diesel engines used a blow torch.. or other means to get preheat
into the cylinder to assist ignition for starting.... later.. the electric
glow plug does the same thing. Once engine temp at the combustion chamber
has risen to the point that compression combustion can be sustained such
devices are no longer required.

Many things can be used to raise combustion temperatures to start a
diesel... One is to use gasoline.. in early large diesels.. the start cycle
used gasoline on one or two cylinders to start the engine and "crank the
other cylinders" which raised combustion temperatures in successive power
strokes until the cylinders were all hitting... then the "start cylinders"
were switched to diesel... Some used blow torches... or coal fires and the
heat was drawn into the cylinders to "warm them up" from dead cold... but
in all cases.. once the engine ran on it's own... on diesel... the external
heat was removed.

Same for glow plugs...

Mercedes glow plug system works on the same principle... glow to start..
even then the glow plugs cycle on and off to keep from overheating... and
continue for a time until the temp sensor [check your wiring diagram for
what does what] tells the glow circuit the engine has reached a sustainable
operation temperature...

On a really cold morning... with a bad glow system.. a diesel is a B*#&@#ch
to start.. I've used heat guns, hair dryers, and other warm air tricks,
like a rubber hose from the exhaust of a gas engine to pump into the intake
of one to get a start.... Ether.. the gas of death should only be used by
it's self.. and sparingly.  Its burn point is very low compared to
diesel... and a shot will get a burn started... which then starts the
engine burning diesel

Or in the case of model airplane engine.... castor oil and alcohol serves
the same purpose.. with a working glow plug... somethings..

FWIW,
Grant...