Tie rod failure is easy to see.  If you see the tie rod end hop up and down
when you push and pull and 3 and 9 then its bad.  But since it does not
rotate at speed, it is unlikely the noise you are experiencing.  But it
could still be bad.  It is possible that the CV joint is bad and the tie
rod is loose.