More details after a bit more inspection....

Peter Frederick <psf...@earthlink.net> writes:

> Do the normal checks -- straight in and out play at the bearing is the
> bearing

None.

> in and out play on an unloaded (jackstand under the control
> arm) is probably ball joint or maybe loose strut mount bolts.

None

> Play when rocking top to bottom is ball joint or strut mount (upper)

None

> side to side is a tie rod or drag link,

Yes there is noticiable play side to side (hands at 9 and 3 on the tire)

> vertical play when prying up on the bottom of the tire is a bad ball
> joint.

None really noticable

> A bad CV joint can groan, but the diagnostic is a low speed very sharp
> turn.  A distinct "click click click" at wheel speed is a worn out
> joint.

There is a tapping or knocking sound, varies with speed, perhaps a loose
tie rod in combination with a slightly unbalanced wheel?  Seems to
happen most often coming off throttle.

> They normally don't fail unless the boots are bad, but it does
> happen at high milage.  They can also moan and rumble when they get
> really worn, too.

Boots are intact.  154K miles.  That's kinda high for a Focus I guess.
I've been told they are a 100K mile car.

Allan
--
Allan Streib