Hans Neureiter wrote:
On that note, I have a related question:
I try to hook up a 30A/240V generator to my service panel trough a 2-pole
breaker with fail safe main breaker lock-out (one has to be off before the
other can be switched on).
Manual calls for a 10-4 load cable and separate grounding of the gen.
I can only find 10-3 cable. Since I go through my service panel where
Neutral is grounded, why could I not combine Neutral and Ground in one wire
and use the ground rod of the panel?

10-3 usually means 3 live conductors plus ground.
The outdoor stuff isn't cheap, but compared to a generator it's not that bad:
http://www.menards.com/main/electrical/rough-electrical/wire-cable/10-3-25-uf-with-ground-wire/p-1469792-c-6441.htm

That said, when hooking up a portable generator to the house, I'm dealing with an old genset with a three wire 240v outlet, so I just made an adapter cable to plug it in to the 3 wire dryer outlet, using a three wire replacement dryer cord.

Mitch.