Grounding has expanded over the years.  Originally BX cable (metallic
sheathed) and outlets were 2 prong.  For 240V, the same type of wiring was
used, beefier conductors for the 30A service to clothes driers and they
were 3 prong outlets.  .  The metallic sheath effectively provided the
ground and boxes were metal also.  GFCI was around towards the end of these
days.  Neutral and ground were effectively tied together at the panel.
 When Romex (non-metallic sheathed) became popular and boxes went to
plastic, a dedicated copper ground wire was used.  While 3 prong 120V
outlets have been around for a whlle, 240V lagged and driers still used no
separate ground.  Now 240V has caught up and its done with 4 prong
outlets/cable, with separate ground and neutral.

If you had an existing 10/3 generator cable I would use it.  If you were
buying new, I would buy 10/4.