What bugs me is that my dear friend Master Electrician Speedy Kilowatt
insists that what I am doing and essentially Mitch is doing is dangerous.
He is mumbling of possible feedback of potential to the grid via the
neutral wire. I don't see how a grounding I can establish is better than
what the power company put in place.
I think when electricians hear of an emergency generator they assume it is
a stand-alone installation, i.e. then gen is hooked to a load with an
extension cord. In this case I see the need for grounding the gen. Of
course, feedback in this case is not possible, but I can become the
grounding rod.

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 7:30 AM, Jim Cathey <j...@windwireless.net> wrote:

> I can only find 10-3 cable. Since I go through my service panel where
>> Neutral is grounded, why could I not combine Neutral and Ground in one
>> wire
>> and use the ground rod of the panel?
>>

> I'm sure you could.  The only reason for the fourth
> wire is if you should have a heavily-unbalanced load
> that caused the neutral to rise above ground potential
> more than a few volts, thus rendering the genny chassis
> 'warm' relative to the dirt it's sitting on.  If it bugs
> you enough, run a separate ground wire.  (Green is nice.)
>
> -- Jim

Hans Neureiter, Katy, TX
'82 300SD
'01 VW New Beetle 1.9L TDI