On 02/11/2012 8:19 PM, Dimitri Seretakis wrote:
Thanks!  I taught myself.  Basically bought a welder 17 yrs ago to repair some
rust. Struggled for a while but figured it out with some practice.  The welding
is the easy part, although butt welding sheetmetal takes some practice so as
not to burn through. Patch panel fabrication is where the real skill is needed.
 I learned from books early on and just practiced.
I use a MIG welder with shielding gas (Lincoln Weldpack 100).  It's a small
110V machine.  I don't need the power of 220 as I'm primarily welding
sheetmetal.

I didn't replace the door for a few reasons:

1. I like to keep as much original sheetmetal and paint on my cars as possible.
 This is totally silly, impractical, and irrational but I can't help myself.
I'm not dealing with a rare Bugatti Atlantic coupe here but again it's my
impractical side that controls my actions here.
2. The patch cost $5 and the door $50.

3. The door had power windows, whereas mine doesn't which meant swapping out
all that stuff- probably less work than splicing in a patch though!
4.  I'm always up for a metalworking challenge!

Very good. I had a 110V MIG and gave up on it. Cannot recall the maker. It was branded for one of the local stores.

I have since bought the 220V Lincoln MIG and it has been much better. I have done little with it myself but my younger son has learned to work it quite well.
I need to do some practising.

What are you using to grind off the welds?

Randy