There are different kinds of windows. I put in Anderson windows in my addition that are sorta intermediate storm types -- they have tabs on the frames to hold the sashes in but are not impact resistant for hurricanes, etc. Those windows are really expensive but the higher end houses over on the barrier islands tend to use them and obviate the need for storm shutters (perhaps).

Interestingly, the fire dept says that unless there is life in danger they will pretty much watch a "hurricane" house burn, and keep those nearby hosed down, as with the hurricane windows, metal roofs, and Hardie siding they cannot break into walls or roofs or windows to put water on a fire. Saw some article somewhere a day or two ago of someone saying they were astounded that the houses on the shore up in NJ did not have shutters on the windows, that might be the reason.

As far as strapping -- in Houston (and maybe the rest of TX along the coast) the strapping had to run from the sill up over to the roof for single story houses, not sure about 2 story but there are strap requirements there too. Here along the coast in SC the straps just need to tie the walls to the sill, run up a bit on the wall studs.

--R