Our real estate lawyer has either been a family lawyer already known to us, or
a trusted friend who is a dedicated real estate attorney with whom I swap IT
support for legal work.

Last time I did pay him on a home sale that was especially tortuous I gave him
$500, which I thought was a good deal considering it was cash and he probably
had maybe 5-6 hours in the whole deal.

For the most part real estate is boilerplate stuff and he acts as our
mouthpiece, meaning we don't speak to the other party, their real-estate agent
or lender.  With the advent of email I can get an email from him and have a
response in a matter of minutes for him, so his time involved is pretty minimal.

Add to this that he is a good friend and we know he has our best interests in
mind, too.

Dan