Posted Nov 5 when y'all were talking about hitches.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Monday, November 05, 2012 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240D tow hitch or wagon?

In 201 when I, bought friend's '81 300D, I stopped by Auto Zone one day to
see what sort of trailer hitches they might have - not that they might have
one made for an '81 300D, but that I may be able to see what they had to
help me with ideas for fabricating my own. Low and behold, there was one in
a box that had been opened!  I was able to pull the pieces out to examine
them individually and realized immediately that I could use several key
pieces of it to quickly and easily adapt it to fit my 300D; even removed it from the 123 in '04 and installed it on my '87 300D. Attachment to the 123 was via a cross bar perpendicular to the drawbar receiver and four bolts though an additional
steel plate on trunk floor between rear edge of spare tire well and rear
wall of trunk.  Attachment in 124 has the same cross bar attachment to the
trunk floor plus another cross bar and two more bolts through a box member
at very rear of trunk with second steel steel plate on trunk floor. Forward end of draw bar receiver is attached to rear wall of spare tire well in 123 and 124 via two short angle bars that I fabricated (the only parts plus coupla bolts and steel plates not included in the box found a Auto Zone). 'Bent the downward legs of the two short angle bars to fit contour of spare tire well. Drawbar on the 123 installation was easily removable; not so on the 124 because of restricted access to bolt through the drawbar.

Photos attached.

BTW, 'Noticed in hitch photos evidence of some rust forming on the hitch between the drawbar and its receiver; its exposure to salty roads is nil, but it obviously gets wet occasionally. I'll spray it good with additional sealant to reduce water entry between drawbar and receiver.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dimitri Seretakis" <dsereta...@yahoo.com>