ATTABOY!  My suspicions confirmed.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dieselhead" <126die...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2012 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 124 license light problem

>License plate ground (left and right): Left side of trunk, below
hinge, behind panel.

Wilton

Thanks.

Found the problem. It was barely noticeable inside the woven cable bundle that comes out of the trunk lid. A rough spot, with the woven cover pulled away some. I decided to investigate, and when I cut and pulled the woven jacket away, there were 5 wires. 3 cut in two. 2 with damage to the insulation. After repair, all the lights work. The jacket was not damaged.

I did not find it until I crawled into the trunk and felt along the wire bundle.

So, the grounding points are ok.  Just a cut wire, but hard to find.