I would suggest a Ford Focus. You can get a good example from the mid to late
2000s in that range of dollars.

They are cheap to maintain, easy to fix when necessary, and economical to
operate.

I have two if them, a 2004 wagon and a 2005 sedan. The wagon has about 159,000
and the sedan around 175,000. Both have been relatively trouble free during my
ownership.

Dan