On 03/12/2012 5:21 PM, Peter Frederick wrote:
Check the fan pulley, it can be put on wrong way round (and the water pump pulley, if I remember correctly). The difference is just about 1 and one half ribs, so eventually the belt shreds on one side (the rear on my brother's car) and works fine so long as you don't mind the mess.

The difference is small enough it's hard to see.

Peter

I had that issue on a Toyota 4Runner. It did not eat the belt but it was noisy and would squeal on turns. Discovered the fan pulley was on backwards. It had had a timing belt change not long before I got it and I guess they got in wrong on re-assembly.

Randy