The maturity thing is why in Canada (or at least Ontario twenty years ago) kids heading for college take an extra year of high school (Grade 13) before they go. Makes a huge difference -- I would have GREATLY benefited by being a year older before I started undergrad, I really wasted that first year. Big change for the second year, I'd have done somewhat better if I'd started then.

Spend 5 years working before I went to graduate school, and that's not a bad idea either!

Peter