As I was approaching graduation at age 37, SWMBO and others, including head of the civil engineering graduate school, kept telling me, "You should go on graduate school while you're at it." My reply, "Any more schooling I do is gonna be on full pay and allowances." 'Thought I'd be able to go to graduate school (Air Force Institute of Technology) in the Air Force. By the time I was selected for it, the final selection board thought I was "too senior" (40-year-old major) - 'sent 24-year-old lieutenant, instead. I went straight to base civil engineering job I would have gotten after the school, anyway - straight from flying B-52's to base civil engineer (Well, for 4 years, anyway, then back to B-52's.)

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2012 11:22 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Anybody there?

That has a great deal to do with it, as well as the ability to manage time and projects that comes with maturity and managing a household/family.

I always got a kick out of the "kids" in my cohort that would be wildly texting and carrying on the Sunday before a project or paper was due. "Let's meet in the library at 11:00 (pm) Sunday night and have a study session!"

No thanks, kids, I was done with this last week. I'm going to get some sleep.

I think a lot of the "silly" and "ridiculous" has more to do with dealing with the maturity and frontal lobe development of the typical 18-22 year old. If the majority of students were in their 30s or 40s a lot of that would not be necessary, I believe.

The one crippling aspect of higher education at a later age is the inability to realize the benefits of such if you decide to progress into graduate school. I was seriously considering continuing on until I realized that, A: I would never reach my full earnings potential due to the late start in my career, and B: the cost/benefit aspect of it didn't make sense, either. I didn't want to be paying student loans out of my SS or pension...

Sure would have been fun and challenging, however.

Dan