That has a great deal to do with it, as well as the ability to manage time and
projects that comes with maturity and managing a household/family.

I always got a kick out of the "kids" in my cohort that would be wildly texting
and carrying on the Sunday before a project or paper was due.  "Let's meet in
the library at 11:00 (pm) Sunday night and have a study session!"

No thanks, kids, I was done with this last week.  I'm going to get some sleep.

I think a lot of the "silly" and "ridiculous" has more to do with dealing with
the maturity and frontal lobe development of the typical 18-22 year old.  If
the majority of students were in their 30s or 40s a lot of that would not be
necessary, I believe.

The one crippling aspect of higher education at a later age is the inability to
realize the benefits of such if you decide to progress into graduate school.  I
was seriously considering continuing on until I realized that, A: I would never
reach my full earnings potential due to the late start in my career, and B: the
cost/benefit aspect of it didn't make sense, either.  I didn't want to be
paying student loans out of my SS or pension...

Sure would have been fun and challenging, however.

Dan