It used to be like that around here to some extent.  All of the blue hairs that
would come down here to die would have a nice old MB sitting in the garage.

When I do see these (and I watch the local CL pretty closely) any more they
seem to have unrealistic expectations as to the cars value.  I don't know where
they are getting their number, or if they're just pulling them out of the air,
but it seems like if it's a vintage MB, it's suddenly priceless.

There is a guy down here who has a pretty nice early 70s 280S (not SE) that
thinks it's worth $14k because he bought it from the estate of the original
owner and it only has 80k on it.  Granted, it's a nice car, but it has some
wear and minor mechanical issues that he isn't willing to address because he
thinks it's "a perfect vintage automobile".

Yeah, right.

I talked to him a few months ago about the car, even took a quick look a it.  I
could tell the way he talked he thought he struck the mother lode with this
one.  I didn't bother to offer any critiques, I just left.

It's still popping up on CL about every two weeks or so - at the same price.

Dan