Perhpas there is a difference in grammatical usage - assault as either a
verb or an adjective. A firearm that was designed to function optimally in
a role supporting an assault could be described as an "assualt weapon".
Just as I have a "hunting knife" and a "deer rifle".

That having been said, I fully support our right to own any type of firearm.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 9:44 PM, G Mann <g2ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I respectfully submit, it is impossible for a rifle to "assault". An
> individual can "assault", however, a device can not. The use of the term
> "assault rifle" is intended to assault your senses and is thus, by legal
> interpretation, an assault.
>
> Many laws, in many countries, all are written to hold an individual
> responsible for the act of assault. I have yet to find even one case, in
> one court, where a device , ie a rifle, has met the legal standard of Mens
> Rea. Mens Rea [see Blacks Law Dictionary] requires two things, the Intent,
> and the Act. Please produce for me a device that by it's own volition,
> meets those qualifiers.
>
> A man may "assault" another with a rock, club, or gun.. but the rock, club,
> or gun are incapable of that act of "assault" by themselves.
>
> To be progressively mislead into the improper use of such inflammatory
> language, by those who at the same time loudly assault verbally themselves
> is in large part responsible for the volatile rhetoric we have, on both
> sides of the issue.
>
> It is my considered opinion that those who are terrified of demons freely
> demonize anything that they do not understand and being fearful run rather
> than self educate and think logically.
>
> Or, they are just damn crazy and not capable of logical thought.
>
> I'm off to curse and eat my young while I argue oil and tires with some
> @#)($&*% idiot.
>
> Grant... :))
>

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 8:02 PM, Hendrik and fay <heni...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Yes sort of like the mere mention of gun control makes them act like the
> > King of England is invading and they only have 20 assault rifles stashed
> > under the bed.
> >
> > Hendrik
> > who has nothing under the bed but dust
> >
> > On 17/01/13 13:18, Jim Cathey wrote:
> >

> >> I've met them before.  Mere mention of the means of effective
> >> self-defense makes 'em act like you're about to vivisect their
> >> pet, personally.  Or child.  It's truly weird.
> >>
> >> -- Jim

OK Don
2001 ML320
2012 Passat TDI DSG