At 06:43 PM 1/24/2013, Brian Toscano wrote:
The lack of insulation makes for old house charm. :-)

Back then fiber glass didn't exist.  In some rural areas, houses were
clapboard siding, studs, and tongue and groove or simply pine boards on the
inside with a tin roof.  Exterior clapboards may never have been painted.
 Wood stove inside, possibly serving double duty as a stove.  The ground
level floor could have been supported with slabbed tree trunks, leveled
with a bottle.

Sounds about like our WV house when my wife and I arrived in 1981. There was no insulation. The walls were leaky clapboards tacked on top of what a neighbor called "Yankee board". This is a double layer of rough cut vertical boards.

In this system you start construction by nailing together a floor grid of 2 X 4s balanced on stone piles. The walls are made by laying boards on the ground side by side, then laying another layer of boards on top to cover the cracks and nailing the two together. A row of people lift up what amounts to a board curtain and walk it up to become a wall of the house. It is propped in place while other walls are similarly made, tipped up, and the corners nailed. The top of the walls are notched for 2 X 4s that form the roof. More boards on that and then galvanized metal. Holes are cut for store bought doors and windows. All lumber must be fresh from the mill since only green hardwood can be nailed without drilling.

When we got the place it was leaning a bit here and there but basically sound after 60-80 years. So we added another layer in the form of salvaged 2 X 4s attached horizontally to the outside by 60d nails driven from the inside. That gave us some room for insulation and then board and batten on top of that. It has been great.

     Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

     Glory is fleeting by obscurity is forever.