Andrew writes:

> It's interesting how the prices of pristine unrestored models
> uncannily reflect the cost of purchasing and then restoring a
> less than perfect example of the same car.  My sense is that
> restoration costs have inflated way faster than general
> inflation, which acts to suppress the market value of
> tired/rusty/oogy 111 coupes,108 sedans, and soon to be
> classic 123 diesels.

Restoring a car is usally a labor of love, not an investment.

I fell in love with a '62 Volvo P1800, one of the early ones with the bull
horn bumpers, made in England by Jensen. I had owned two of the later coupes
(one being my first car, a red '66 coupe) and a sportswagon, and really
wanted another.

It was a solid $500 southern car -- most of the pieces were there.

When I sat down and figured out that to properly restore it would take me a
year + and $20K, I bailed. If I wanted a *nice* late model driver in
pristine condition, I could have had my choice of a number in the $6-8K
range. And I was not looking for a trailer queen.

I ended up not buying that car, and in fact not buying *any* car.

Lee
'93 300D 2.5 180K