'Nother Sondy tale:

CARGO SHIP ELECTRIC PROBLEM
By Wilton Strickland

During the summer of 1978, while I was Director Engineering at Sondrestrom Air Base, Greenland, the Base Commander called me early one evening and asked me to go over the Officers' Club and talk to the captain of a cargo ship that was anchored just offshore at our port while unloading supplies for the base. At the Club, the Captain told me about a serious electrical problem they were having that was jeopardizing completion of the unloading process and asked if I might be able to help solve the problem. I promised him that I would talk to my Danish contractor electrical engineers and technicians and possibly take a couple of them with me to the ship at 1000 the next morning.

The Danish engineers/technicians agreed to help me with the problem and accompanied me to the ship the next morning. I was expecting to see a US Navy ship, but as we approached the ship aboard a small Higgins boat or landing craft used to haul cargo from the ship to shore, I realized that it was a private vessel on contract. I was shocked by its rusty state, and I realize in retrospect that it was likely a Liberty ship of WWII vintage.

The Captain met us on deck and escorted us to a small sheet metal-enclosed shack there. He introduced us to two of his shipboard mechanics/electricians, who immediately began discussing the problems with the two Danish electricians. The Danes appeared to understand the problem immediately and began to effect a solution with the ship's electricians. Meanwhile, the Captain tapped me on the arm and said, "Come on with me; I'll give you a quick tour of the ship; then we'll have lunch. They'll take care of it OK; my guys'll make sure your guys get lunch and call me when they're finished." Soon, we were down in the bowels of the ship, including the engine room, where many steam pipes were hissing leaking steam and were wrapped with layers of burlap and hemp ropes/line to help contain the leaks. Lots of rust was everywhere, and this veteran B-52 flyer did not feel very safe/comfortable at all.

After a few more minutes of cursory tour of the ship, including the bridge, we retired to the Captain's dining room adjoining his cabin, where a fine table with white linens, china and silverware were arranged. The Captain glanced at his watch and said, "Your Base Commander is supposed to join us for lunch, you know." As I was replying, "No, I didn't know, but that's fine, of course," a knock came on the door, and the first mate escorted the Base Commander inside. Base CO was surprised to see me, and exclaimed, "There's the Base Commander! I couldn't find you as I was leaving the office, and I told my secretary to find you and let know that you're the Base Commander 'til I get back." We had a good laugh as I told him, "Well, the people in the communications center know I'm "on the ship at the port." CO, responded, "Well, I didn't call THEM." (Much like reading the manual after all else fails.) After a very enjoyable and leisurely meal, the Base CO, the two Danish technicians and I departed the ship with its electrical system working as well as one could expect on such a decrepit craft. It served its purpose well, though, and delivered its cargo in a timely manner and departed a couple of days later.

Wilton