> dsereta...@yahoo.com wrote:

> My speedometer and odometer don't work. They stopped working
> suddenly a few yrs ago while driving. Is this likely the
> cable? Looks like a PITA to remove the cable to see if its
> broken so any insight might help. I was thinking about just
> ordering a new cable.

I have had a couple cables fail.  First thing I would check is
to see if it is truly connected at the transmission and the
instrument cluster.  Remove the cable from the instrument
cluster and try to turn the inner part.  If it turns, then the
cable is broken or not connected at the transmission.  I would
then check under the car.  If it's securely attached, it's
almost certainly a broken cable.

If I am remembering correctly, at one end the cable is secured
to the housing, but not at the other end.  So with both ends
disconnected, the inner part should not be removable.  If the
cable is broken, it will pull out.

I just went out to the garage to check using the spare.  The
transmission end is secured.  So from the clean, dash end try
turning it.  If it turns, pull on it. (Then inner part).  If it
pulls out more than 1/2 inch (10 mm) or so the cable is broken.
If it turns but does _not_ pull out, it may only be disconnected
at the transmission.

--    Philip