<< It sounds like Greg's is the second style.>>

Yes!

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of Fmiser
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:21 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Repair 240D Alternator Adjusting Bolt?

> OK Don wrote:

> Turn it down one size, then thread it - just needs to be strong enough
> to hold the geared head in place. Of course, a good used one is the
> preferred option, IMHO.

There are two styles of adjusters that I have seen on W123s.
The older style is a gear head under the clamping bold (that is in the slot
- not the pivot) that engages in a rack on the alternator bracket.  Turning
the bolt is supposed to turn the gear against the rack and apply tension to
the belt.  On every one I have encountered, the gear and/or rack is stripped
and so the system is non-functional.

On newer cars, there is a 5 mm (or so) threaded rod sticking out of the side
of the clamping bolt.  There is a long (40 mm) nut that rests against a
protruding portion of the alternator mounting bracket.  Tightening this nut
causes the clamping bolt to be pulled outward and increase the tension on
the belt.  These also often break, especially if there is something not
quite aligned correctly.

It sounds like Greg's is the second style.

And I'm guessing Don is referring to the first style.

--   Philip