The turkey baster does work over time.  Without solvent or flush I'd expect
any new fluid to turn dark pretty quick.  Once you do it a few times you'd
be able to see the filter at the bottom of the reservoir for quite a while.
 The new fluid will end up cleaning stuff up or mixing with fluid you never
really got out earlier.