Dieselhead wrote:
Now that IS FUNNY! Gerry posted a think piece. Nobody commented on it but andrew, and he is complaining about the replies to his political post.

And he says he opposed mob rule and favors a federal system.

It isn't political discussion that weighs a mailing list down, it's political disagreement. If we all agreed with Andrew, or if Andrew agreed with the rest of us, there wouldn't be a problem.

Now, back to the political issue at hand:
The federal government has, progressively over time, become the national government, and the states that formed it have lost all control over it. This was done with an incredible misinterpretation of the interstate commerce clause, claiming that it authorized the federal government to control anything that could potentially have an effect upon interstate commerce. Obviously that would mean there are NO limits to federal authority and we would have a full national government instead of a federation of states.

Andrew seems to see two paths forward from where we are now, national government and chaos/anarchy/mob rule.

I see two paths, return to a republic authorized by the Constitution which was ratified by a federation of states or a civil war to reinstate such a republic. It's looking more and more like this war will be in my lifetime if it happens at all.

What we're seeing is a states' challenge to federal authority, the states are telling the feds that they've been pushed to the limits and won't yield any further, and while they're at it, why don't the feds start backing up for a change?

My former county sheriff is one of those leading the charge:
In Michigan, for example, the Senate unanimously passed a measure saying the state wouldn't comply with a provision of the National Defense Authorization Act that critics say could allow American citizens to be held indefinitely without trial on suspicion of terrorism. Among the advocates of the bill were the ACLU and local tea- party groups.
(uh, Gerry, did the authors mean to say "opponents" instead of "advocates"?)
"We're telling the United States government, 'We will not cooperate with you,' " says Sen. Rick Jones, a lead sponsor of the bill who is a former sheriff with three decades in law enforcement. "As a state, we're asserting the 10th Amendment" that supports states' rights.