"Advocates" is the correct wording, just confusing. The "bill" that the "advocates" are backing is the MI bill that tells the Feds to back off, not the bill mentioned immediately before. I had to read that twice also to figure out what they were referring to. A simple wording fix would be "Among the advocates of the MI bill were ..."

Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
'98 ML320 "Max" (162,xxx mi)