Thanks for the hubcentric tip.

So, if the Audi hub centers are too small, I could theoretically take
them to a machine shop and have them opened up to MB specs--the
Vanagon guys do this all the time and claim it's relatively cheap.

Subjectively, I think VAG equips their vehicles with better looking
rims than DC, plus the pool of available rims in the used market is
considerably larger.  Most aftermarket rims look, well...aftermarket.
I'd like the car to look somewhat like it came outfitted as such from
the factory...just disregard the large gaping intercooler hole in the
front bumper.   I've priced tires and found 17" to be way above my
comfort threshold for an automotive wear-item, so 16" is the upper
most size limit.

Me, spend $1000 for a set of rims?  I may be a diesel nut, but I still
have some shred of dignity left.

Casey
Olympia, WA
Biodiesel: "I drive in a persistent vegetative state"
'87 300TD intercooler (211k)
'84 300D (207k)
Gashuffer:
'89 Vanagon Wolfsburg Edition (186K)