I have a "cottage". Really it's a tiny thing that resembles a large shack! I've been doing some sill repairs but some of the studs sitting on the rotted sill have rotted as well. I was thinking about cutting out the rotted bottom section, splicing in a new piece of stud and then sistering it all up with another 2x4. Does the sistering stud have to reach all the way up to the top plate? I can't realistically do this because it extends through the ceiling into the second floor. Any thoughts?

Sent from my nonMBPhone

Nope

As I understand you are replacing the bottom plate that the studs rest one, and the bottoms of some studs. Cut off the stud where the wood is good, cut a piece long enough to fit in where the rotted section was.

You may need to jack up the wall to get this in block place. I do that by screwing a 2x10 or 2x12 on 4 or 5 studs at least, with at least 5 screws in each stud.

Once the block is under the cutoff, then nail or screw your scab alongside it. Rule of thumb is the scab should be at least 3 times as long as the block above and below the joint. (6 times as long as the block) unless you run into the top or bottom plate. So for a 6" block, there is 6" below the joint, and 18" above, so a 24" scab works good. Its a rule of thumb, so don't stress is you have a 20 or 22" piece you want to use up. If it is sound, that will work just fine. In that case, I'd put 2 screws into the 6" block and at least 3 into the upper part. (the old stud)