I was chased by a black bear in Kluane Lake National Park (Canada) back in
my youth.  He didn't look particularly large until he reared up on his hind
legs, probably out of curiosity rather than hunger or aggression.  It was
amazing just how tall and threatening he appeared in that
position.  Fortunately, I survived the encounter (some of you might have
been rooting for the bear).

Andrew