Randy Bennell wrote:
I generally try to stay out of the gun nonsense on here, but let me suggest that if you truly feel you need a gun to protect you in your own home, you should think seriously about moving, maybe out of the USA, to some place where there are not so many guns and whack jobs carting them around.

Just think of it like fire insurance.
Nobody says 'if you need $500 a year worth of insurance because you're afraid your house will catch fire, you should seriously think about moving'.

That $500 gun is a one-time, not annual, purchase.
Needing to defend yourself from home invaders or from a fire are similar in probability. The good news is that 'hot' (occupied) home invasions are less common where armed homeowners are more common. In the UK, for example, it seems like the burglars prefer to hit the home while there are people in it. In most parts of the USA, they'd much rather do it in broad daylight so they can come and go while you're away at work.

Mitch.