I don't think a filter is required.  I use a small sump pump, which is far
bigger than a car fuel pump.  The most difficult part (not really hard at all)
is the plumbing.

I have an empty R-22 bottle and a vacuum pump, next oil change I'm going to
pull a nice vacuum on the bottle and try to plumb that to suck the oil out.
Then i can pressurize it, invert and squirt the oil out into the recycling
container at our county recycling point.

--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC