'Reminds me: On one of the trips to Greenland on C-141 from McGuire, NJ., flight steward handed out foam ear plugs about engine-start time. A civilian in from of me put his in his mouth and chewed 'em -- thought they were chewing gum.

Wilt

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rich Thomas" <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 10:15 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT Cargo plane crash Afghanistan

Some people get disoriented/sick easily facing backwards so that config probably would not work on civilian aircraft. I guess military people don't get disoriented? That would be hard on a navigator, end up flying the wrong direction or something.

Speaking of which, there was an interesting show on last night about German officers the Brits had "imprisoned" at some old manor houses, and they had bugged all the spaces to listen to their conversations, got a lot of intel that way. One of the things that was most interesting (to me anyway) was that they learned some details about then hacked the German radio nav beacon system to cause their planes to fly off course, some turned around and landed on Brit airfields, they had some officers whose planes got confused that way (or maybe they were actually defecting, not clear).

--R