Relative measure of wealth reminds me: When I was a boy on tobacco farms in Nash County, NC, my measure of a "rich" farmer was his tobacco trucks - the little mule-drawn trucks that hauled the tobacco leaves from the fields to the curing barns where a crew, usually women and girls/children, would "loop" (attach with cotton string) them onto sticks to facilitate hanging the leaves into the barns. Our trucks were home-made and rode on 2 X 6 (sometimes, 2 X 4) wooden slide "runners." "Rich" farmers had wheels on their store-bought, factory-built trucks.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Ritchey" <ritche...@nc.rr.com>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, May 03, 2013 8:51 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT: Speeding and revenue

What is the basis of the implied assumption that the rich (generally
understood to mean anyone with more than me) should not have the same
Constitutional protections as the poor?

Andrew Strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Wouldn't it be way fairer to soak the rich through application of a
progressive tax code, rather than burdening those who can least afford
pay these fines, as a means of shouldering the cost of governing.