When I was a kid I spent summers with my grandparents, my granddaddies both
grew terbacky.  I looked forward to the cutting time.  I got to drive the
tractor pulling the wagon through the field then haul the load to the barn.
Being 12 or 14 that was a real big deal.  My one granddaddy hired an old black
man, one mr. Fred Torian who was quite a character.  He christened me an
"honorary soul brother" at one point which I thought was pretty cool for a
know-nothing white boy. He also made some wicked Q that was quite famous.

He had one guy on his crew named Sculley who was about 7ft tall and was always
the guy on the wagon handing the sticks up to the guys on the tiers.  I learned
many things from those guys while waiting for them to unload a wagon, none of
which I shared with my parents!

My granddaddies occasionally grew dark fired backy but mostly grew air-cured
burley.  They used arsenic of lead to kill the worms, go figure what that did
to "flavor" the product.

--R (sent from my miniPad)