I had purchased a BMW 2002 new in 1970, loved the car for its roominess &
handling, but hated it for the overheating and rust prone problems.  I knew of
two other folks locally at the time who also had overheating problems on their
2L engine.  I did a coolant flush job, replaced the radiator, H2O pump, and
thermostat to no avail.  Of the ones which displayed overheating problems, this
seemed to show up ~60-80K miles.  I even wrote a letter back then to BMW about
the overheating but never received a response.
Good luck.

G. M. Brown
Brevard, NC