I just bought an electrical tester doodad from our local version of HF that is supposedly for tracing circuits. It is Asian and comes with no instructions so I wondered if some of you folks might have a better idea of how to use it than I do without doing some experimenting.

There are two parts to it.

Each is powered by a single 9V battery.

One is a square box with two test leads with alligator clips - one red and one black.

The other part is sort of like a screwdriver handle with a flexible probe on it with a rubber tip.

The square box has a switch that indicates tone or cont and off in the middle. The other part has a switch that permits one to increase the "volume" for lack of a better word.

I am assuming that one attaches the black wire to ground and the red wire to the end of the wire one wishes to trace and then moves the wand along the wiring harness and looks or listens for evidence that the wire is in that particular bundle of wires.

My reason for buying it initially is that I have an issue with the feed for the trailer hookup at the back of my F150. I assume that there is a fault in the harness somewhere. It all works except for the light on the one side of the trailer. I cannot recall offhand if it is the left or right brake light / turn signal that does not work but it happens on more than one trailer which led me to check the truck and find that there is no power on that pin etc. That was last summer and I have not had a trailer connected since but summer is coming and I will be moving boats again so should fix it.

Randy